The Eternal Champion is a being that exists in different forms throughout the Multiverse. The Champion exists to uphold the Cosmic Balance, and could even be said to be an aspect or reflection of the Balance.
Whenever there is an imbalance of Law or Chaos in the Multiverse, an aspect of the Champion will be born to set the scales right again.
The Eternal Champion always bears an aspect of the Black Sword as his or her weapon, though it may not always manifest as a sword.
Most of the time, the Champion is unaware of his true nature, and lives his life knowing nothing of his destiny until he is swept up in it. The fate of the Champion is a fell doom indeed, for the Champion can never rest, never truly die, and never truly love.
It is possible for multiple aspects of the Champion to exist in the same universe, though it is dangerous and risks damaging the Multiverse. In these cases, the individual Champions can fuse together into one composite being. All aspects of the Champion remember their past (and possibly future) incarnations subconsciously, in dreams and nightmares. Some aspects remember them consciously, which makes them either extremely adept at surviving in the Multiverse, or borderline insane.
The Eternal Champion's tale is almost always a tragic one.
Aspects of the Champion
- Konrad Arflane
- Artos the Celt
- Asquiol of Pompeii
- Aubec of Kaneloon, Earl of Malador
- Clen of Clen-Gar, the third identity assumed by John Daker
- Jerry Cornelius, a.k.a, Jerry Cornell from Moorcock's "Chinese Agent" short story and Captain Cornelius in Moorcock's novel Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
- John Daker, the one aspect of the Champion who remembers his previous lives
- The Doctor, stated in Moorcock's novel Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
- Prince Flamadin, the fourth identity assumed by John Daker
- Ilian of Garathorm
- Karl Glogauer, who turns out to be the real man behind the messianic figure of Jesus Christ (note also how some other incarnations bear the initials J.C.)
- Corum Jhaelen Irsei, an anagram of "Jeremiah Cornelius", a.k.a. Corum Llaw Ereint
- Michael Kane, Kane of Old Mars
- Klan the Spoiler
- Clovis Marca, retconned to Clovis Becker in "The Shores of Death"
- M'v Okom Sebpt O'Riley, Gunholder of the Qui Lors Ventures
- Alan Powys, retconned to Alain Von Bek in "The Shores of Death"
- The "Scar-Faced Brooder" from Michael Moorcocks' The Time Dweller: One of the earliest incarnations of the Eternal Champion, but set in Earth's final years
- Ghardas Valabasian, Conqueror of the Distant Suns
- Manfred Von Bek
- White Crow, an avatar of Elric
- American Epic Heavy/Power Metal band Eternal Champion is named after the Eternal Champion.